Skip to main content

Day 19 - Friday 3rd April 2020

Location: London, UK

COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Lockdown

Other jobs


As an actor, I have had many other jobs which are not performing for money.

I've...
  • made cocktails (bar work)
  • stacked shelves and beeped produce (supermarket)
  • been very enthusiastic, very early in the morning about lunch while dressed as some kind of food (handed out flyers)
  • welcomed people into places (fundraiser)
  • controlled crowds of people into coaches (really patient)
And higher education administration.

Bit random that last one.  I fell into it many years ago, it kept me fed and in dance shoes and it is what is saving me at the moment!  I am hugely grateful for the work as it is something I can do from home and I realise it puts me in a more privileged position than many of my fellow performers as I am still able to earn.

Finding a job that is both flexible and fulfilling is very hard and I’ve been lucky to find a couple over the years.  As a performer, you are constantly juggling things – earning money, auditioning, preparing, having a life outside acting.

My point is, us performers are multi-skilled, disciplined people with a plethora of transferable skills and we and any potential employers would do well to remember this wonderful thing!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 2020

Location: London, UK  COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak September - how is it already September? September was the month when everyone really tried to "go back to normal" Started off the month with a cast screening of Love & Information which we decided to really go for big style - everyone dusted off their black ties and ballgowns and we had a fabulous evening! It was my birthday - celebrated with a family walk and  Papa John's vegan pizza  which was great!  Lockdown birthdays kinda suck but also I feel like people make more of an effort to reach out as the circumstances are so strange. I went back to weekly ballet classes, first since March.  It has been lovely to stretch my muscles and my dance brain. Went to the cinema for the first time - my cinema of choice is the BFI, partly because I'm a member and partly because I like the way they do things.  Saw two excellent films (in a socially distanced cinema where masks were required throughout) -  Mem

Day 64 - Monday 18th May 2020

Location: London, UK COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak Lockdown I love to walk as I've mentioned before and to accompany my walk, I enjoy a good podcast.  But I've also taken to listening while I cook or clean. My regular ones include: Make Me Smart  - Usually weekly, now daily, American.  Looks at news, economy and tech, really interesting and fun. The Chickpeeps  - This is a podcast about all elements of veganism.  It's much more accessible and fun than it sounds and will answer any questions as they have loads of experts as guests. Serial  - the first series was a huge talking point worldwide, featuring the case of Adnan Syed.  I would also recommend the following series, very interesting. The Teachers Pet  - about the disappearance of Lynnette Dawson in Sydney, Australia in 1982.  Fascinating and quite frankly, horrifying. Slow Burn  - series 1 is all about Watergate which I am currently listening to. Deliciously Ella  - talking all