Skip to main content

Day 61 - Friday 15th May 2020

Location: London, UK

COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak


Lockdown


Theatre is probably going to be one of the last type of venue to open and is going to struggle.  The Nuffield in Southampton has already gone into administration.

50 members of the House of Lords have signed a letter urging the government to provide financial support to the performing arts industry.  The letter is below.

What I find incredibly sad about this, is that there was virtually no reporting of this.  At all.  Google it, you won’t find much.

I know that at a time of economic uncertainty it will be low down the list of priorities of things and people who need money.  So, let me just ask you a question.  During lockdown, have you watched tv?  A film?  Read a book?  Listened to music?  The artists which brought you that work need to be paid and need support now and for the future so that the very entertainment that has helped keep us all sane and talking and sharing stories during this time will be there in the future.

The UK is a world leader in performing arts and to retain the incredible cultural creative people that we have, we need investment.  So now is the time for our government to recognise the value both culturally and monetarily that the performing arts bring to us and to invest.


SIR – The creative industries are worth £111 billion to the UK economy each year. At their heart lie music and the performing arts, which face ruin as a result of Covid-19.

At a stroke venues and theatres, large and small, have closed their doors. Festivals and concerts have been cancelled, and all those individuals working in the sector, who are largely self-employed or on precarious contracts, have lost their livelihoods. As mass gatherings are likely to be the last events to be reintroduced after lockdown ends, this will be a devastating lost year for thousands of musicians and artists, and their families.

Last week, MPs and peers across all parties pressed the Government on the steps being taken to protect musicians, other artists and those running venues who are falling through the cracks and receiving no financial support during the crisis. The message was clear: they need help now.

Music and the arts help to define the kind of society we are. If we want them to survive this emergency, an urgent sector-specific package of financial support – similar to the €50  billion programme in Germany – is desperately needed. Without significant intervention of this sort, the cultural sector may be irreparably damaged by the time this crisis is over.


Advocacy ToolKit: #SaveTheArts | Greater Philadelphia Cultural ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 2020

Location: London, UK  COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak September - how is it already September? September was the month when everyone really tried to "go back to normal" Started off the month with a cast screening of Love & Information which we decided to really go for big style - everyone dusted off their black ties and ballgowns and we had a fabulous evening! It was my birthday - celebrated with a family walk and  Papa John's vegan pizza  which was great!  Lockdown birthdays kinda suck but also I feel like people make more of an effort to reach out as the circumstances are so strange. I went back to weekly ballet classes, first since March.  It has been lovely to stretch my muscles and my dance brain. Went to the cinema for the first time - my cinema of choice is the BFI, partly because I'm a member and partly because I like the way they do things.  Saw two excellent films (in a socially distanced cinema where masks were required throughout) -  Mem

Day 64 - Monday 18th May 2020

Location: London, UK COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak Lockdown I love to walk as I've mentioned before and to accompany my walk, I enjoy a good podcast.  But I've also taken to listening while I cook or clean. My regular ones include: Make Me Smart  - Usually weekly, now daily, American.  Looks at news, economy and tech, really interesting and fun. The Chickpeeps  - This is a podcast about all elements of veganism.  It's much more accessible and fun than it sounds and will answer any questions as they have loads of experts as guests. Serial  - the first series was a huge talking point worldwide, featuring the case of Adnan Syed.  I would also recommend the following series, very interesting. The Teachers Pet  - about the disappearance of Lynnette Dawson in Sydney, Australia in 1982.  Fascinating and quite frankly, horrifying. Slow Burn  - series 1 is all about Watergate which I am currently listening to. Deliciously Ella  - talking all

1st November 2020

  Location: London, UK  COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak World Vegan Day 🌍🍃🐄🐔🐖 The 1st November is World Vegan Day. I have two thoughts on that - firstly, that every day seems to be National or World something day and secondly that for me, every day is VEGAN DAY 😁 As I have alluded to my veganism in this blog,  I thought   I'd let you know what lead me to this point. At the age of 8, I connected the dots that the meat on my plate and the animal in the field were very much connected and I couldn't bear the idea of an animal dying just so I could eat it.  Although I now have many more reasons which support my choices, animals dying was and still is my primary motivator for being vegetarian/vegan. I used to eat fish for a long time, but I could never eat a fish if it still looked like one and gradually I found I couldn't face the idea any longer. In 2014 I decided that for Lent that year it would be a good challenge to go vegan - I loved and ate dairy on a daily basis - c