Skip to main content

Day 146 - Saturday 8th August 2020

 Location: London, UK 


COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Lockdown

It is really, really hot at the moment.

In London it hit 36°c on Thursday and is set to continue with daily highs of 32°c-36°c for the next week.

When I think of recent summers, there have been a few with very hot weeks, usually in July.  I remember two specifically, 2013 and 2018 as both times I was rehearsing for a show which involved a lot of physical movement and rolling around on the floor, which during a heat wave, was hot work. 

But these are isolated weeks, the rest of those summers were typically British - mildly warm with showers. We seem to have had pretty hot weather for months.  In many ways this has been a blessing.  With the country in lockdown and then only allowed to meet socially outside, with less clement weather, this whole situation we find ourselves in could have been a lot more unbearable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st November 2020

  Location: London, UK  COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak World Vegan Day 🌍🍃🐄🐔🐖 The 1st November is World Vegan Day. I have two thoughts on that - firstly, that every day seems to be National or World something day and secondly that for me, every day is VEGAN DAY 😁 As I have alluded to my veganism in this blog,  I thought   I'd let you know what lead me to this point. At the age of 8, I connected the dots that the meat on my plate and the animal in the field were very much connected and I couldn't bear the idea of an animal dying just so I could eat it.  Although I now have many more reasons which support my choices, animals dying was and still is my primary motivator for being vegetarian/vegan. I used to eat fish for a long time, but I could never eat a fish if it still looked like one and gradually I found I couldn't face the idea any longer. In 2014 I decided that for Lent that year it would be a good challenge to go vegan - I loved and ate dairy on a daily basis - c

Day 139 - Saturday 1st August 2020

Location: London, UK  COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak Lockdown My church opened a while ago, initially for an hour a day, so that parishioners could visit and pray. Then about a month ago, it opened for daily masses but with social distancing in place.  Track and trace is done at the door, masks are worn and instead of holy water by the door we have... holy hand gel? It's all a bit strange to say the least and I doubt the church has ever been cleaner, but I think it's good that places of worship are able to open.  They are necessary to so many as a place for quiet and time for reflection, as well as operating as the centres of community, of which they are for so many people.

Day 19 - Friday 3rd April 2020

Location: London, UK COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak Lockdown Other jobs As an actor, I have had many other jobs which are not performing for money. I've... made cocktails (bar work) stacked shelves and beeped produce (supermarket) been very enthusiastic, very early in the morning about lunch while dressed as some kind of food (handed out flyers) welcomed people into places (fundraiser) controlled crowds of people into coaches (really patient) And higher education administration. Bit random that last one.  I fell into it many years ago, it kept me fed and in dance shoes and it is what is saving me at the moment!  I am hugely grateful for the work as it is something I can do from home and I realise it puts me in a more privileged position than many of my fellow performers as I am still able to earn. Finding a job that is both flexible and fulfilling is very hard and I’ve been lucky to find a couple over the years.   As a performer, you are cons