Skip to main content

Day 147 - Sunday 9th August 2020

 Location: London, UK 


COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Lockdown

Continuing on my weather theme, anyone remember the summer of 2007?  Well that was the year that Umbrella by Rhianna was number 1 in the UK for 10 weeks.  And all we did was use our umbrellas as it was the wettest summer since records began.

I cursed this song at the time as all I wanted was some sunshine and we didn't get any.

Then in 2012, I was fortunate enough to take part in the Paralympics Opening Ceremony.  It was a fantastic experience and I got to dance with 200 other people in one of the opening segments to, yes you guessed it, Umbrella by Rhianna.

I had to make my peace with the song as it was all I heard for several months and I actually came to love the remixed version we danced to (Seamus Haji & Paul Emanuel Club Remix).

We had very heavy umbrellas that lit up and changed colour, hats with lights on as well as mismatched Dr Marten's and the rest of the fetching costume.

If you fancy watching it, the whole opening ceremony is HERE (umbrellas start at about 8mins in) and a backstage/rehearsal video HERE which was spookily called The Miranda section.

This is me in costume at the Olympic Stadium:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 19 - Friday 3rd April 2020

Location: London, UK COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak Lockdown Other jobs As an actor, I have had many other jobs which are not performing for money. I've... made cocktails (bar work) stacked shelves and beeped produce (supermarket) been very enthusiastic, very early in the morning about lunch while dressed as some kind of food (handed out flyers) welcomed people into places (fundraiser) controlled crowds of people into coaches (really patient) And higher education administration. Bit random that last one.  I fell into it many years ago, it kept me fed and in dance shoes and it is what is saving me at the moment!  I am hugely grateful for the work as it is something I can do from home and I realise it puts me in a more privileged position than many of my fellow performers as I am still able to earn. Finding a job that is both flexible and fulfilling is very hard and I’ve been lucky to find a couple over the years.   As a performer, you are cons

Day 64 - Monday 18th May 2020

Location: London, UK COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak Lockdown I love to walk as I've mentioned before and to accompany my walk, I enjoy a good podcast.  But I've also taken to listening while I cook or clean. My regular ones include: Make Me Smart  - Usually weekly, now daily, American.  Looks at news, economy and tech, really interesting and fun. The Chickpeeps  - This is a podcast about all elements of veganism.  It's much more accessible and fun than it sounds and will answer any questions as they have loads of experts as guests. Serial  - the first series was a huge talking point worldwide, featuring the case of Adnan Syed.  I would also recommend the following series, very interesting. The Teachers Pet  - about the disappearance of Lynnette Dawson in Sydney, Australia in 1982.  Fascinating and quite frankly, horrifying. Slow Burn  - series 1 is all about Watergate which I am currently listening to. Deliciously Ella  - talking all

Day 139 - Saturday 1st August 2020

Location: London, UK  COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak Lockdown My church opened a while ago, initially for an hour a day, so that parishioners could visit and pray. Then about a month ago, it opened for daily masses but with social distancing in place.  Track and trace is done at the door, masks are worn and instead of holy water by the door we have... holy hand gel? It's all a bit strange to say the least and I doubt the church has ever been cleaner, but I think it's good that places of worship are able to open.  They are necessary to so many as a place for quiet and time for reflection, as well as operating as the centres of community, of which they are for so many people.