Skip to main content

September 2020

Location: London, UK 


COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

September - how is it already September?

September was the month when everyone really tried to "go back to normal"

Started off the month with a cast screening of Love & Information which we decided to really go for big style - everyone dusted off their black ties and ballgowns and we had a fabulous evening!

It was my birthday - celebrated with a family walk and Papa John's vegan pizza which was great!  Lockdown birthdays kinda suck but also I feel like people make more of an effort to reach out as the circumstances are so strange.

I went back to weekly ballet classes, first since March.  It has been lovely to stretch my muscles and my dance brain.

Went to the cinema for the first time - my cinema of choice is the BFI, partly because I'm a member and partly because I like the way they do things.  Saw two excellent films (in a socially distanced cinema where masks were required throughout) - Memories of Murder, the 2003 film by Parasite director Bong Joon Ho and Clemency which made me cry, twice.

Also went to the theatre which was thrilling!  I saw the concert version of Jesus Christ Superstar at Regent's Park Open Air Theatre.  I think they were very, very clever in the way in which they staged it and the singing was BRILLIANT.

Schools went back (much to the relief of many parents across the land) but anyone who sneezes is immediately sent home (or so it seems).

It became impossible to find a Covid test in London.

The universities encouraged all the students to return, pay their tuition, pay for their accommodation and then when, in a shocking turn of events, the infection rate rose (such a surprise) they locked them all in and classes reverted to being delivered via Zoom.  I feel desperately sorry for these students, most of whom were mucked around with their A-Level results and then further experimented with in this way.  At one point they were told they might not be able to go home for Christmas.

Lockdown and social rules continue to be changed and updated, bar and restaurants currently need to close at 10pm although again unsurprisingly this just encouraged people to gather in large groups in people's houses or the off-licence... *sigh*

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st November 2020

  Location: London, UK  COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak World Vegan Day šŸŒšŸƒšŸ„šŸ”šŸ– The 1st November is World Vegan Day. I have two thoughts on that - firstly, that every day seems to be National or World something day and secondly that for me, every day is VEGAN DAY šŸ˜ As I have alluded to my veganism in this blog,  I thought   I'd let you know what lead me to this point. At the age of 8, I connected the dots that the meat on my plate and the animal in the field were very much connected and I couldn't bear the idea of an animal dying just so I could eat it.  Although I now have many more reasons which support my choices, animals dying was and still is my primary motivator for being vegetarian/vegan. I used to eat fish for a long time, but I could never eat a fish if it still looked like one and gradually I found I couldn't face the idea any longer. In 2014 I decided that for Lent that year it would be a good challenge to go vegan - I loved and ate dairy on a daily basis - c

Day 139 - Saturday 1st August 2020

Location: London, UK  COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak Lockdown My church opened a while ago, initially for an hour a day, so that parishioners could visit and pray. Then about a month ago, it opened for daily masses but with social distancing in place.  Track and trace is done at the door, masks are worn and instead of holy water by the door we have... holy hand gel? It's all a bit strange to say the least and I doubt the church has ever been cleaner, but I think it's good that places of worship are able to open.  They are necessary to so many as a place for quiet and time for reflection, as well as operating as the centres of community, of which they are for so many people.

Day 145 - Friday 7th August 2020

  Location: London, UK  COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak Lockdown Oh it's a bit hot isn't it? I'm not quite sure what my cat is thinking, but she insists on spending most of the day in the hottest part of the house.  I've tried explaining to her that there are cooler areas she could recline in, but no, she will not listen. I appreciate that trying to reason with a cat seems like a pointless activity and to be frank on this occassion, it has proved to be so.